Thursday, August 18, 2005

Gabriel Yared: The English Patient; Sting: Desert Rose

As I was watching "The English Patient", the music sounded strikingly familar and it kept bringing me back to the time I spent in the Middle East. Now I know why: the composer is an Arab. And his music, though basically western, has a distinctive local flavor.

Also liked Sting's Desert Rose. 缓慢的节奏,阿尔及利亚歌手的歌喉,只有沙漠居民才有的那种孤寂,苍凉,对雨水的梦想,对爱情的渴望。

Born in Beirut and living in France for many years, Gabriel Yared initially studied law before switching to music studies. He has now been composing music for film and stage for some considerable time. Much of his earlier work has been for the French cinema, but more recently he has established his reputation in Hollywood with some noteworthy scores. The "English Patient" is brim full with wistful romantic love melodies which seem to have a life of their own, spanning time across the film's flashbacks. Against the musical accompaniment, some of these scenes have a serene beauty oblivious to the war being waged elsewhere.

------------------------------------
Sting's hit song "Desert Rose," which featured the voice and lyrics Algerian singer Cheb Mami, brought Arabic music to the world's forefront.

2 comments:

菊子 said...

Desert Rose

I dream of rain
I dream of gardens in the desert sand
I wake in pain
I dream of love as time runs through my hand
I dream of fire
Those dreams are tied to a horse that will never tire
And in the flames
Her shadows play in the shape of a man's desire
This desert rose
Each of her veils, a secret promise
This desert flower
No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this
And now she turns
This way she moves in the logic of all my dreams
This fire burns
I realize that nothing's as it seems
I dream of rain
I dream of gardens in the desert sand
I wake in pain
I dream of love as time runs through my hand
I dream of rain
I lift my gaze to empty skies above
I close my eyes, this rare perfume Is the sweet intoxication of her love
I dream of rain
I dream of gardens in the desert sand
I wake in pain
I dream of love as time runs through my hand
Sweet desert rose
Each of her veils, a secret promise
This desert flower,
No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this
Sweet desert rose
This memory of Eden haunts us all
This desert flower,
this rare perfurme Is the sweet intoxication of the fall

菊子 said...

记得曼陀罗这篇,你往包子铺里贴过。

我在英国还学过一阵以色列现代舞。老师是以色列著名的 choreographer, 她老公当时在那里作访问学者。 -- 以色列现代舞应该主要是阿拉伯舞和俄国舞的结合吧,扭肚皮和踢腿。:) 上一辈子的事情了。