Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Emerson: Nature (Transparent Eyeball)

Harold Bloom commented on Vladimir Nabomov's The Vane Sisters, saying that in that short story VN has alluded to Emerson's Transparent eyeball, among other things. I found a reference to this paragraph of Emerson's in Knapp's "Emily Dickinson", where the author was comparing Emily's view of the nature to that of Emerson's, and a quote of the transparent eyeball:

Emerson: Nature (Transparent Eyeball)
In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair. Standing on the bare ground, my head bathed by the blithe air, and uplifted into infinite space, all mean egotism vanishes. I become a transparent eye-ball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or particle of God. The name of the nearest friend sounds then foreign and accidental: to be brothers, to be acquaintances, master or servant, is then a trifle and a disturbance. I am the lover of uncontained and immortal beauty. In the wilderness, I find something more dear and connate than in streets or villages. In the tranquil landscape, and especially in the distant line of the horizon, man beholds somewhat as beautiful as his own nature.


http://lib.novgorod.net/NABOKOW/vs.txt

And as I looked up at the eaves of the adjacent garage with its full display of transparent stalactites backed by their blue silhouettes, I was rewarded at last, upon choosing one, by the sight of what might be described as the dot of an exclamation mark leaving its ordinary position to glide down very fast-- a jot faster than the thaw-drop it raced. This twinned twinkle was delightful but not completely satisfying; or rather it only sharpened my appetite for other tidbits of light and shade, and I walked on in a state of raw awareness that seemed to transform the whole of my being into one big eyeball rolling in the world's socket.

No comments: